Having personalized and handmade items can make any small space feel like home. That is why today on Home in a Shoebox, I am going to be showing you how to make these DIY photo decorations using old frames from your local thrift store. The best part? Altogether, this DIY only cost me $5.00! So, let’s begin.
What you will need:
- An old picture frame
- Super glue (or a hot glue gun)
- Yarn or string
- A paintbrush
- Small Clothespins (found at any craft store)
1. Pick your photo frame! You want one that can stand up on its own or that can be nailed to the wall without the back piece.
2. Take apart your picture frame so that only the frame itself is left – you can disregard the glass and any cardboard that came with it.
3. Paint the border of your picture frame (if desired) and let dry.
4. Cut a piece of yarn/string to go across the length of your frame, either when your frame is displayed horizontal or vertical depending on the size of your picture.
5. If you are using one frame, make two tiny bows. If you are using more than one frame, make two bows per frame (pictured below).
4. Once your photo frame is dry, glue the string across the width of the photo frame, about 1-1.5 inches down from the top of the frame depending on your photo frame’s size (see picture below for the measurement I used).
5. Attach the bows to both ends of the strings and let dry.
Now you’re ready to begin hanging up any quotes or pictures that you love onto your photo frame using the small clothespins!
Let me know in the comments below if you make this DIY photo decoration yourself. Handmade items always make a room feel more like home and are a frugal way to add personalized style to your space. I hope that you are inspired to make your own handmade item for your tiny abode!
For more homemaking tips, check out this post!